Interspecies Friendship: Deer and Rabbit

by J.D. Roth on 08 January 2007 · 19 comments

in Interspecies,Photographs

Interspecies friendships are awesome. Here are some photographs from Tanja Askani of a deer and a rabbit who are apparently pals.

Askani is a photographer and animal scientist. She has a book entitled Kinship with the Wolf: The Amazing Story of the Woman Who Lives with Wolves. From the Amazon page:

Czech author and animal scientist Askani lives with her husband at a game park in Germany. Originally, they had established the falconry at the park, bred raptors, and presented bird shows with their birds of prey. When her husband brought her an orphaned three-day-old wolf pup, Askani’s entry into lupine life began. Flocke (“snowflake”) was weak, requiring the intensive care of both Askani and her dog, yet eventually thrived. The bond between Askani and Flocke survived the wolf’s return to the game park and her pairing with another hand-reared wolf. Their daily interactions, including walking around the game park on leashes, gave Askani great insight into the world of the wolf.

Having a wolf pack (a third, younger male was added later) that totally trusted the humans among them — and, in fact, treated them like auxiliary wolves — meant that intimate observations of wolf behavior were possible. Although the writing and the translation are a bit choppy, the charming, diary-like writing style and the plethora of color close-ups of the wolves will enchant wolf lovers.

I’ve added it to my must-read list. See more of Asksani’s amazing wildlife photography here. Oh, okay. Two more images (because they’re cute):

[found via Boing Boing]

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Amanda 01 January 2007 (08) at 8:31 am

You find the *best* animal stuff.

Lynn 01 January 2007 (12) at 12:05 pm

Bambi and Thumper!!

Jan 01 January 2007 (05) at 5:29 am

The last photo SUPER CUTENESS!

But I love all the photos. The bunny and the deer look lovely together, and the baby bunny or squirrel is sooo cute.

erica 06 June 2007 (20) at 8:44 pm

your pics r so cute with the bunney and the deer i love them

Laurel 12 December 2007 (17) at 5:53 pm

Can these photographs be purchased from the author? I would love to have one of them framed?

shelley 01 January 2008 (14) at 2:36 pm

WONDERFUL photos. browsing through google images, and saw how cute they were. amazing, and impossible!! C:

Lucy 02 February 2008 (00) at 12:51 am

The bunnies tongue is so cute! lol I want a bunny now!!

Liz McGowin 03 March 2008 (17) at 5:55 pm

I’d like to purchase a print of the deer and rabbit photo. Can you tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Alicia 03 March 2008 (12) at 12:23 pm

Love the background information and story, adore the photographs and was nice to know the people behind them

Chrissy 04 April 2008 (14) at 2:09 pm

Is it possible to order the prints of the deer and rabbit? I would love them for my baby’s room.

sway 09 September 2008 (07) at 7:57 am

I wish I could see something like that when i’m out in the woods hunting… That would be a perfect kill, a rabbit and a deer!

Lisa 11 November 2008 (08) at 8:32 am

Sway, you’re not much of a hunter if you’d shoot a deer that small. The photographs are beautiful.

Emily 11 November 2008 (09) at 9:08 am

On a difficult day, I like to look at these photos. It reminds me that there is purity in the world and life IS good. The photos fill me with peace.

Rachel 12 December 2008 (16) at 4:27 pm

Wow, those are amazing pictures. <3 You’re good!

Debbie Lugar 01 January 2009 (11) at 11:03 am

I’d love to copy and paste one of those baby rabbit pictures for a rose gardening display. How/who do I contact for permission?

K 01 January 2009 (09) at 9:50 am

Luv the Bunny wiv its tounge out

Just like meeeeeeeeee!!!

Sarah 01 January 2009 (10) at 10:17 am

Hi

I would like to use one of the deer/rabbit images on one of our training datacards. Please advise how I can get hold of an image and get the photographers permission to use it.

Kathie Placer 04 April 2009 (06) at 6:47 am

I just love all of the pictures of the deer and the bunny. Excellent !!!!!!

Jane Murphy 10 October 2010 (08) at 8:57 am

Your pictures are amazing. I love taking pictures of wildlife myself. Do you sell your pictures? If so please let me know how to order.

Previous post:

Next post:

adobe photoshop 7 full download

cheap adobe cs5 adobe acrobat reader 6 download adobe ilustrator download cheap adobe acrobat download for mac adobe premire download

adobe premiere pro trial download

discount autocad 2011 lt free download for adobe streamline dreamweaver 8 download adobe buy cheap adobe acrobate reader free download australia adobe lightroom trial download

download adobe documents

discount creative suite adobe download photoshop elements 2 download adobe flash 9 for pda cheap download adobe photoshop cs3 free download adobe after effects

my space adobe flash player download

buy cheap creative suite 5 adobe photoshop cs2 patch download download adobe photoshop elements 4 cheap adobe flash player download for windows vista download adobe premiere pro cs3

download adobe photoshop free

cheap photoshop cs5 free pc download adobe pagemaker adobe download interruption cheap adobe professional download download and edit adobe files

free adobe photoshop elements 6 download

cheapest Symantec Command Line 10 adobe download manager free download for adobe acrobat discount adobe pdf document viewer download free download adobe acrobat installer

download adobe photoshop elements 4

buy cheap WebLog Expert 7 adobe photoshop cs2 trial download free download of adobe cs2 cheap adobe acrobat free download adobe master collection torrent download

adobe photoshop v7 download

Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 cheap adobe in design 2 download adobe macromedia flash download cheapest free adobe acrobat download for windows vista adobe download problem

adobe flashplayer download center

discount Autodesk Alias Automotive 2012 adobe reader free download download adobe illustrator cs2 trial discount download adobe scanner download free adobe after effect

adobe pagemaker 70 download

cheapest AutoCAD MEP 2012 safe free adobe flash 9 download download adobe photoshop album buy cheap download latest adobe acrobat reader adobe lightroom update download mac osx

adobe illustrator crack download

buy cheap Autodesk Inventor LT 2012 download adobe older versions adobe flash8 download discount adobe acrobat pro 8 download download adobe for free

adobe patch download

Autodesk Showcase 2012 discount free adobe ilrator download download adobe acrobat reader com cheapest download adobe photo download adobe photoshop elements 5tutorial