CNET posted a list of its top ten animal geeks, “the non-humans who have made outstanding contributions to science”. While these aren’t necessarily intelligent animals, it’s still a cool list.
- Ham, the Astrochimp — launched into orbit on Project Mercury.
- Pavlov’s Dog
- Scroedinger’s Cat — an imaginary animal used for a thought experiment.
- Dolly the Sheep — the first successfully cloned mammal.
- Clever Hans — the mathematical horse, who wasn’t as smart as was claimed.
- Hansken — an elephant pickpocket.
- K9 — Dr. Who’s robot dog.
- Koko the Gorilla — who would have been my choice for top of this list, but then my list wouldn’t have contained K9, either.
- Alex the Parrot — who is one smart bird. I need to write about him.
- Hoover the Seal
The list is mostly tongue-in-cheek, but still fun.
[CNET: Top ten animal geeks]